On Thursday, the death toll in the terror attacks at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, rose to 51 after a Turkish man died in the hospital.
The 46-year-old man had been in a critical condition since March 15. His name has been concealed on request from his family.
New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement, “My heartfelt condolences go to the family and community of this man who has died overnight in Christchurch hospital”. The statement further said, “This sad news will be felt across Turkey, as well as New Zealand.”
“He was the last person still in intensive care following the attack. Nine others who were shot remain in hospital in a stable condition,” she added.
Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkey, Mevlut Cavusoglu identified the deceased on Twitter, writing, “Unfortunately we have lost our citizen Zekeriya Tuyan, who was injured seriously in the treacherous terrorist attack in New Zealand”.
A 28-year-old suspected white supremacist from Australia, Brenton Tarrant on March 15, stormed into two mosques during their congregational prayer and indiscriminately opened fire on the assembled people.